Monday, February 20, 2012

Marriage, Baby, and Lent

It's been such a long time since I've written anything, and since the last time I posted my life has pretty much done a 180. I'm married and pregnant now! It's been a pretty crazy six months, and I'm not gonna get into all the details, except to say that we're so excited about having a little baby in just three months from tomorrow (maybe sooner, who knows!). We've decided to continue with FOCUS, but have asked that they move us back to the Midwest to be closer to our families. The past few months have been difficult for me in terms of missing our family and friends, so I am definitely feeling blessed that we will be closer to them next year, especially with the baby coming.
Lent is upon us, and with Ash Wednesday in about a day I really need to figure out what I'd like to do this year. I pulled out the old gratitude journal and have it sitting next to my bed hoping that I can use it as a way to become more disciplined this Lent, and lets be honest. I have a lot to be thankful for, especially this year.
I've fallen off the grid quite a bit in terms of my prayer life over the past few months, and I know I chalk it up to distractions, and I use being tired as an excuse alot at the moment, and I'm grateful that Lent is coming when it is. I need the challenge to start taking my relationship with Christ much more seriously, and Lent is the perfect time to do that. So the question of what I'm going to sacrifice this Lent is still up in the air, but I'm thinking and praying. I know Pat and I plan on doing something together, which I think will be really good for us, especially as we prepare to become parents.
I have to say, being pregnant is unlike any other experience I've had or can even imagine. In the beginning, it wasn't the most fun thing in the world, which I'm sure many other women can attest to. And I won't lie, it's definitely been an adjustment getting used to this new body I have. It's not so much the big changes that are happening, but more so the fact that I seem to be so conspicuous. I feel like people are always looking at me, and sizing me up almost-but I'm glad its for such a wonderful reason! And I think I'm starting to get over myself and start enjoying my big belly-especially now that the baby is moving around so much. I'm excited for the final three months of this pregnancy, to really keep reflecting on what a blessing it is to already be a mother. With the sickness gone, and the baby growing more and more every day, its a lot easier to focus on the beauty of this amazing time in our lives.
We are truly blessed, and I can't wait to introduce our little one to the world. Not much longer now!

I figure I'll close this post with a quote from Mama T to kick off this almost Lenten season.

Don’t think that love, to be true, has to be extraordinary. What is necessary is to continue to love. How does a lamp burn, if it is not by the continuous feeding of little drops of oil? When there is no oil, there is no light and the bridegroom will say: “I do not know you”. Dear friends, what are our drops of oil in our lamps? They are the small things from every day life: the joy, the generosity, the little good things, the humility and the patience. A simple thought for someone else. Our way to be silent, to listen, to forgive, to speak and to act. That are the real drops of oil that make our lamps burn vividly our whole life. Don’t look for Jesus far away, He is not there. He is in you, take care of your lamp and you will see Him.”

– Mother Teresa

I'm looking forward to using this time during Lent to start taking better care of my lamp...for my heart, and for my family.

No comments: