Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The hard conversations

I'm not good at having the hard conversations. You would think that as the wife of a Catholic missionary I would be a little better versed in how to approach having that awkward, uncomfortable, but morally urgent conversation with a friend, even a good friend, but I'm not. Without going into specifics, I have a close friend who is headed down a road that I think is harmful to her, physically and spiritually, but I don't know how to approach this, when, or even if I should (that's probably a cop out-I really should)...I'm just scared. I've sought out the advice of some very holy women, and the best piece that I have received so far has been to just ask the Holy Spirit for guidance. And I am doing that...begging actually, and asking that if I am supposed to have this conversation that the opportunity will arise, and that I will have the right words. It's been difficult to discern whether or not I need to wait for the right moment, or if I need to just make that moment happen, but for now I am just still praying.

I knew a girl in college who was fond of saying "Eternity is worth the awkwardness." Wouldn't it be cool to have a catch phrase that people associated with you? I think so. It's been a long time since that statement has crossed my mind, but it seems so fitting now. I know the conversation will hurt...I know it will most likely be embarrassing, and I can already see myself fumbling over what I need to say. But if it were me, would I want my friends to take a risk if it meant my eternal happiness was on the line? I don't mean to sound dramatic, but sometimes I think that maybe we aren't dramatic enough...we really are headed towards the end of this life, at some point or another, and there really are only a few places that we could end up. I want to go to heaven, and I want to take my family and friends with me.

The question on my heart today is, is it important enough to me, that I am willing to throw caution to the wind and take risks in my relationships, if heaven is at stake? And tomorrow, if I'm the one who needs help, will I be willing to accept it, no matter how much it hurts?

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Melissa - You have such a beautiful heart. I am excited to find that you have a blog. Hope you don't mind that I linked to yours as well. Praying for you and your family!