Sunday, December 13, 2009

Joy

For a few weeks now this song has been my favorite. I can listen to it over and over and take away something different every time. I thought i was really appropriate for today, given the readings at Mass, which were all about living in Joy. This song has been so on my heart, that there was one day last week that i was praying in St. Joseph's chapel, and i was alone, and i just started singing this song. Its just such a beautiful song of thanksgiving and love for our Lord. During a time (finals) that i truly do not feel like being joyful, i was so encouraged today during mass, and now listening to this song, to live in Joy always. The homily this morning encouraged this exactly-the priest just encouraged everyone to smile. What a simple thing, but so important for us as Christians. What reason do we ever have for not being joyful? In my meditations these past few weeks over and over I've been coming across the idea that in order to be truly joy filled we need to live lives of thanksgiving. I pray that this song of thanksgiving and joy can be on my heart the rest of this week, and especially when i go home.

1. To Christ the Lord let every tongue
Its noblest tribute bring
When He’s the subject of the song
Who can refuse to sing?
Survey the beauties of His face
And on His glories dwell
Think of the wonder of His grace
And all His triumphs tell

2. Majestic sweetness sits enthroned
Upon His awful brow
His head with radiant glories crowned
His lips with grace overflow
No mortal can with Him compare
Among the sons of men
Fairer He is than all the fair
That fill the Heavenly train

3. He saw me plunged in deep distress
He fled to my relief
For me He bore the shameful cross
And carried all my grief
His hand a thousand blessings pours
Upon my guilty head
His presence gilds my darkest hours
And guards my sleeping bed

4. To Him I owe my life and breath
And all the joys I have
He makes me triumph over death
And saves me from the grave
To Heaven the place of His abode
He brings my weary feet
Shows me the glories of my God
And makes my joy complete

5. Since from His bounty I receive
Such proofs of love divine
Had I a thousand hearts to give
Lord, they should all be Thine
A thousand men could not compose
A worthy song to bring
Yet Your love is a melody
Our hearts can’t help but sing!
....

Had i a thousand hearts to give, Lord they should all be thine.

No comments: